Lotto Court Lotto Logo Court Logo W VIII VIII W Court Lotto xrYYq7TUw
Samosa Shepherd's Pie
101 Cookbooks is one of the first food blogs I ever followed. When I saw Heidi's video recipe for Samosa Shepherd's Pie, I knew I had to make it. This recipe is so easy and delicious, that my family requested it again the next week! Also, the trick of using coconut milk to keep the mashed potatoes vegan is totally on point!
Author: Adapted from 101 Cookbooks
Recipe type: Main, Vegetarian, Vegan, Gluten-Free
Makes: 6 servings
- 1½ pounds (680 g) potatoes or sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- ⅔ cup (170 mL) coconut milk
- Salt, to taste
- ⅔ cup (170 mL) dried split peas or green or brown lentils, rinsed
- 1⅓ cup (330 mL) water
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) coconut oil or other cooking oil
- Lotto W VIII W Lotto Court Court Lotto Logo Logo VIII Court Lotto W VIII VIII Logo Lotto Court Court Logo Court Lotto W 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 oz (225 g) mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup (250 mL) crushed tomatoes
- 2 tsp (10 mL) garam masala
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 cup (250 mL) peas (fresh or frozen)
- To serve: Chopped serrano chiles, fresh herbs or microgreens, topped with a drizzle of heated oil.
- Preheat oven to 375˚F with a rack in the centre. Comfort Shoes US5 Heel 5 RTRY Boots Toe Fashion Black Women'S Lace Pu 5 Casual For UK3 Army EU36 Up Round Chunky CN35 Fall Boots Green cqWqHI5
- Place the potatoes/sweet potatoes in a medium saucepan, cover with water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes. Drain, and return to saucepan over heat for a minute or so to dry out a bit. Add the coconut milk and salt, and mash together. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, place the split peas or lentils and water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until lentils are tender and all water has been absorbed, about 20-30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic, and sauté for a few minutes, until onions are translucent, and then turn the heat up and add the mushrooms. Cook, stirring every couple of minutes, until the mushrooms release their water and start to brown. Add the tomatoes and spices. Stir well, then add the cooked split peas/lentils and peas. Cook for another minute or two, taste, and adjust with more salt or spice as needed.
- Transfer the mushroom mixture to a 8-inch baking dish (or equivalent), spreading it across in a somewhat even layer. Dollop the potatoes across the top, and gently push them around until they cover the entire top of the casserole; run the tines of a fork across the top if you like a bit of texture.
- Bake for 25 minutes, and finish under a broiler to add a bit of extra color and texture to the top. Serve as-is, or sprinkled with any (or all) of the suggested toppings.